What is the Ontario Common Assessment of Need (OCAN) ?
OCAN is the standardized assessment tool used in the community mental health sector. OCAN supports a recovery approach by supporting conversations that capture the client’s current situation, needs, strengths and service plan.
Why use OCAN?
OCAN benefits for consumers of community mental health services, health service providers, and the health care system include:
· Supporting a client driven approach with the inclusion of a self assessment
· Supporting conversations with clients about needs, strengths and actions
· Providing aggregate data to support quality improvement planning at the program, organization, LHIN and provincial levels
· Facilitating inter-agency communication through common data standards
· Enhancing the quality of information by having a consistent approach to collection